ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES BOOK REVIEW


I'd heard that Jennifer Niven's young adult début was a good one but I wasn't prepared for how much of a tearjerker it was. This is one of those books which has been added to the list titled 'Books that made me cry like a baby'. All The Bright Places is my kind of book: contemporary, super sweet romance, lots of deeper issues that take root in your mind and don't let you forget them. Is it any surprise that I loved it?

An exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who lives from a boy who wants to die. Theodore Finch is fascinated by death. Everyday he thinks of ways he might die, but every day he also searches for-and manages to find-something to keep him here, and alive, and awake. Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her small Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister's death. 


When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of a bell tower at school-six stories above the ground- it's unclear who saves whom. And when the unlikely pair team up on a class project to discover the "natural wonders" of Indiana, they go, just as Finch says, where the road takes them. Soon it's only with Violet that Finch can be himself- a bold, funny guy who's not such a freak after all. And it's only with Finch that Violet forgets to count away the days and starts actually living them. But as Violet's world grows, Finch's begins to shrink. This is a heart-wrenching story of love shared, life lived and two teens who find one another while standing on the edge.


I cannot help but compare this book to The Fault in Our Stars. The anticipation of them getting together, the travels they go on, and a plot twist that makes you feel like you have no tears left to cry. The poignant message that the book portrays that you should take life in both hands and live every moment to it's fullest sticks with you in both books.

All The Bright Places is going to be one of those books I will be re-reading multiple times. Until I find another book which tops it on the scale of how many tissues were used in the process of reading this book- (and I think it is unlikely I will find a book to top this any time soon)- All The Bright Places holds the title.


4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book right now! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I've heard so many great things about it. I'm eager to finish, but I want to savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an amazing book! I will have a guestblogger about books soon and she will review this book too! I'm really curious now!

    Renate | MissRenate.com | Bloglovin' | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding this to my list to read. Sounds like an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's one of my new favourites and I haven't stopped re-reading it!

      Delete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM