How To Use Pinterest To Boost Blog Traffic


All I've been hearing over the last few months is that Pinterest is the social media platform to use in order to boost traffic for your blog. I've heard many bloggers say that it is an invaluable tool, and one which has helped them to grow their blog organically, so, of course, I wanted to join in and get the most out of a platform which I barely used. I thought that I'd share some tips and tricks on how to get the most out of Pinterest, and of course help to generate more traffic to your website with fairly minimal effort. 

JOIN GROUP BOARDS FOR BLOGS OF A SIMILAR NICHE:
Group boards are a great way to get your content seen, and also to connect with others who are writing a similar style of content to you. Networking is fundamental in growing your blog and is an aspect which shouldn't be overlooked. Some group boards have specific niches for bloggers, for example, a couple of the group boards that I am in are specifically for Beauty and Lifestyle. Pinning images directly from your blog allows users on Pinterest to quickly follow a link if they like what they see. I find that being in group boards often means that people re-pin my pins, spreading the word about my blog further which is of course incredibly beneficial. Another tip is to not make the mistake of only pinning your own content. Sharing other bloggers' content as well as your own is a nice way to work together and help each other out.

USE LONG, PORTRAIT IMAGES LIKE INFOGRAPHICS, INSTEAD OF LANDSCAPE IMAGES
This is something that I’m guilty of from time to time. Everyone knows that Pinterest is full of images which are a similar shape to infographics. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that these size photos attract the eyes of a user when they’re scrolling through a board, and a small, landscape photo is likely to just be skipped over. I’ve actually started making specific photos for Pinterest which link back to my blog, using a website called Canva. I make an infographic shaped photo like this one, and post that in Group Boards and also in my personal boards. I’ve found that I get more impressions on pins which are of this thinner size and fewer impressions on the landscape ones. 

USE THE ANALYTICS FEATURE THAT PINTEREST PROVIDE
The Analytics Tab is a fairly new feature to Pinterest and gives a good insight into which of your pins are performing the best. Similar to the Twitter Analytics feature, it tells you the number of impressions, clicks and likes that a post gets. It is broken down into different sections: the Pinterest Profile which is tailored to your boards individually, and a People You Reach tab. Using these analytics allows you to see which pins are performing the best and whether there are any common features between your highest performing pins. This lets you create a pin which is going to be successful in directing traffic to your blog.

INSTALL A PINTEREST BROWSER EXTENSION
Ok, so this one probably won't boost traffic, but it does make the process of pinning photos so much easier. If there's something you want to pin directly from a website, using an extension allows you to do so within a matter of seconds. I use the Chrome extension and it means that I can pin a photo, edit the caption for it and add it to a board without having to leave the page I am on. It's a really handy tool that I have been using lately, and I'm sure they will have similar extensions for Safari etc. This will only work from a computer, but I'm sure there are alternative methods from mobile devices.

52 comments:

  1. So now that I've conquered Stumbleupon, Pinterest is my next traffic project. I plan to update my boards and really get them flowing so that I can get great traffic through them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree with the tip about joining group boards. It gets your content in front of new people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really useful tips, I have 12k followers on my pinterest & my blog's mostly traffic is coming from Pinterest :)
    Thanks for sharing these useful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so bad with Pinterest:'D I mean, I've got an account but I have absolutely no idea how it's supposed to use. I'm one of those people who needs to understand everything they're doing with a new platform so it might take a while until I'm this "advanced" hahah ! :D

    <3: Jasmin N
    littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really need to up my Pinterest game, thanks for sharing these tips.

    http://confettilayers.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting to use Pinterest as a traffic tool too. Nice tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruhullah Ratnam27 June 2016 at 03:06

    I've never used it, and don't have an account either, I'm not sure if Pinterest is right for me. Always thought it was more of a visual medium, which is something I'm not great at so I've stayed away. Maybe it's time to change, but ugh...change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinterest is amazing! I was hoping to get more tips out of this one, but thanks nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've definitely been wanting to boost my traffic on pinterest, so I really enjoyed your post and use some of tips! Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't use it, but now it's the moment to do it! We'll follow your good tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for these helpful tips! I will definitely be pinning this for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a helpful post!

    I definitely noticed a big jump in site traffic since I started incorporating "pinnable", long images into my posts. I always add at least one pinnable image to each blog post, and it definitely helps my numbers.

    - Alexia P. Bullard
    www.alexiapbullard.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post here on Pinterest. Keep up the great work and live unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have so much to learn from Pinterest. I've been using it for years but not to boost traffic

    ReplyDelete
  15. My list of things to learn and do is getting longer. Guess I will have to really take a look at my images to see if they are pinworthy or need to have an overhaul.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely tips! I recently started using my Pinterest to promote my blog so this is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a great read, thank you for sharing this! Excited to try better Pinteresting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been using Pinterest a lot more lately and I've seen my traffic increase a lot from there. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have just gotten into really doing pinterest for my blog and I am surprised at the traffic I have seen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love pinterest. Great tips. Will be pinning this. #BlogEngagement

    ReplyDelete
  21. Group boards are definitely nice. Do you use Tailwind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Tailwind. What is it?

      Delete
    2. It's a Pinterest scheduling tool. I'm using the free trial right now and I like it. A lot of people swear by it for their Pinterest increase in traffic.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for these tips! Pinterest is still such a struggle for me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It baffles me whenever I see landscape images on pinterest and instagram, it's a silly mistake to make!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a really useful article for where I'm currently at with blogging. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know how people survivie without the pinterest browser extension! It's my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since getting it, it has just made life so much easier!

      Delete
  26. Thank you very much! These step-by-step instructions necessary for all beginners :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving these tips, all social media takes getting use to the different ways it works so this is really, really helpful as I need master Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super insightful! I have made a decision to ensure that I get focused on Twitter and Pinterest upon my return to the states (currently on a 6 week Eurotrip). I am aiming to join group boards so that I can increase my traffic.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've just started getting in to Pinterest and am implementing a lot of the tips you suggested. I'm also a mega fan of Tailwind for scheduling pins. Such a time saver! Thanks for the ideas and info :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for this! I didn't know Pinterest had analytics so after reading your article I converted my account to a business account and got analytics activated straight away. So helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't get much traffic from pinterest yet. But Im working on it with Tailwind! :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips! I really need to join more boards, I think that really is the way forward!

    Sarah :)
    Saloca in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  33. This post was super helpful! I would say installing rich pins also helps your pins to look more professional :) .

    Ninz

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love Pinterest. One thing that I don't get yet is rich pins. Need to read more on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really need to use Pinterest more. I do get some traffic from there with hardly even doing anything so I am sure if I spent more time it will be a great traffic source!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice tips .. I am just starting out with pinterest.
    https://freshfashioneveryday.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Over the last couple of months I've seen 50%+ of my traffic coming from Pinterest. I've been using a scheduling tool and not just pinning my content to achieve this. I've tried a couple of group boards, but haven't seen much traction from them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Excellent post and a great resource. Idon't know much about pinterest, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great tips!! I really need to focus more on my Pinterest account....

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pinterest! I've just recently started using it to grow my blog engagement and I can't say enough about finding an effective strategy. Board Booster has been a huge time-saver for me personally and has tripled my blog traffic almost overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pinterest is one of my favourite platfroms and I'm finally starting to see a small amount of traffic coming to my blog from Pinterest! The group boards definitely help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So now I know how to use pinterest for my blog! Time to execute these points!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I've been doing these tips and have noticed a major increase in traffic! Love Pinterest for blogging, it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great tips! Love adding my blog posts to my Pinterest boards and really agree with joining communities. :)
    www.isabellaschoice.com Isabella x

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have always been interested with pinterest but have not gotten much traffic. I may try out your methods and see what happens. Nothing wrong with trying you know.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM