Nude Brown Lips For Every Skin Tone

Shades (Left To Right) :  Maybelline Colour Sensational in Toasted Brown, Rimmel Show Off Lip Laquer in Light Year, MAC Matte in Velvet Teddy, NYX Lingerie in Push Up and Revlon Super Lustrous in Pink Pearl
Look at the lips of any model, actress or reality star at the moment and they are most likely wearing a brown lip of some description. It isn't one of the most obvious colours to wear on your lips, but it is currently one of the biggest beauty trends that we all need to be following. It's safe to say that the 90's lip is back with force. None of these shades particularly look like your typical 90's shade (If you're looking for one, try MAC's Stone or NYX's 1000 Years), but these are more of your typical true brown/nude shades. Choosing the right shade for your skin tone can be a little daunting especially if you're pale like myself, so I've rounded up a couple of my favourites for a range of different skin tones.

The first and darkest shade is the Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick in Toasted Brown. This colour is more suited for people with a slight tan to their skin, but it can also be worn if you're paler- just bronze up to the max. The finish has a slight sheen to it but that doesn't effect the longevity of the lipstick. Worn over a lip liner, this will last for a good two three hours, so for the price you pay you're certainly getting your money's worth.

The Rimmel Show Off Lip Laquer is quite a similar shade to the Maybelline Colour Sensational, but is just slightly lighter and has more red undertones. It's a very similar packaging to the Apocalypse lip lacquers which is great if you have a couple as they store together incredibly easily. This shade is also a little like a gloss, but the colour is definitely there like it would be in a standard bullet lipstick. I feel as if this colour would suit most skin tones and if the final colour isn't quite how you would like it, then you can alter the appearance slightly by layering it on top of either a darker or lighter lip liner.

The middle shade is the most hyped beauty product that I can think of, and that is MAC's Velvet Teddy. One thing I have learnt about this lipstick is that it looks a completely different colour on various different skin tones. If you're pale like myself (NW13/15 or paler), then it comes off as a beautiful nudey/brick red colour, despite it looking like more of a red in the bullet. It has a matte finish and like many of the other MAC matte lipsticks, does not budge regardless of what you throw at it. Because it looks so different on every skin tone, this makes it perfect for absolutely anyone depending on what look you're going for. Obviously if you have darker skin then it's going to seem lighter than it would on someone with pale skin, but for many of us, this is the perfect brownish nude shade, and it's understandable as to why so many people have it as a staple in their makeup bags.


The NYX Lingerie liquid lipsticks are one of the most recent beauty hypes. The one in the image above is in the shade 'Push Up' and although many swatches online make it out to look more pink, on my fair skin tone I have found that it comes out as more of a nudish-brown. The finish of these lipsticks is matte and I have found that after a little while of wearing, it can begin to crack slightly. Having said this, the longevity of the colour is great considering the cost at £6.50. I haven't tried the Kylie lip kits but from what I have read online, these seem to be a dupe that many are loving to use.

The final shade is the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Pink Pearl. Don't let the name of this lipstick deceive you as it isn't pink at all, although it does look to be in the bullet. This lipstick is less opaque than the others so if you're looking for something bold then this probably isn't the best choice, however for a slight tint, then this is perfect. It is a warm brown shade that is perfect to be layered on top of a lip liner like MUA's Caramel Nougat, or Miss Sporty's Earth, both of which have been two of my favourite lip liners lately.

By writing this post I am hoping to illustrate that brown lips are not just for a certain skin tone. Anyone can wear them regardless of your skin tone, it just takes trial and improvement to figure out which shades you like and which shades suit you best.

Have you found any brown lipsticks which you've been loving lately?
Is x

20 comments:

  1. These are such beautiful brown nudes! I typically go for "my lips but better" shades, and since my lips are so dark red/pink I feel like browns doesn't do anything for me! I'd love to try a more sheer version though!

    xo, alice / T Y P E N U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous shades!!

    Jenna from www.visionsofvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYX is da bomb right? I adore these shades :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty, love NYX products. I'm never disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I'm so glad these shades and formulations have come such a far way since the days of Revlon Rum Raisin :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly had a hard time choosing a shade. I like them all! But it is true that when choosing the right shade can be daunting since we have different skin tones. Your picks are all amazing and I just love how you describe them. Thanks for the share. xx

    www.prettyweirdbombshell.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love NYX cosmetics, and their liquid lipsticks and matte lip creams are ones I wear often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it crazy how the 90's are making a comeback!? I love NYX too - they have some great options!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love nude lipsticks, but it's true that each individual has to find the shade for their skin tone. I am loving the BH cosmetics Color Lock nude lipsticks..can't remember my fav nude shade but they are surely a go to in my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful nude shades that actually would work on every skin tone! Mac Velvet Teddy and Rimmel's Light Year are just gorgeous aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous shades! I'm so pale that it can be hard finding the right shade for me but I may try one of these!

    Katy
    skinstuffbykaty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful shades, I always struggle to fine the perfect one to suit me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Velvet Teddy is such a classic nude shade!

    Emily xo
    www.emilynewstead.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the revlon ones! I'm also looking for new shades so I'll be sure to check out that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there,
    thanks for this amazing blog post! I am super curious about the NYX liquid lipstick, especially since everyone says they are dupes for the Kylie lip kits. Can't wait to get my hands on them (not here in Germany of course :/)

    Cheers,
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how the 90s is coming back! These are some great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super helpful! I have been searching for the right nude and I think I will try one of those - NYX maybe! Thanks for doing the research :)

    Emily
    www.threadsandblooms.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so important! People forget that there are different tones for people. They are constantly showing off swatches but it just doesn't help if you're darker skinned! Let me know if you do a red lipstick hunt like this because it would help a lot! <3

    Keep it up! You're doing amazing.
    - Jasemine-Denise
    http://blog.jaseminedenise.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this look- one of my co-workers totally rocks it but I've been so afraid to try! But maybe I'm going to have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. velvet Teddy suits all skin tones, as you said. This is why I like him very much

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM