How To Do Brushes On A Budget

Image Source

If you're into your make-up, it's more than likely that your desk area is consumed by make-up brushes. They're the most essential tool when it comes to it, and make the application of products so much simpler and easier. The one major downside to buying brushes is that if you're a student, or simply just working on a budget, they can be quite expensive when you need a whole new set, or are just starting to get into make-up. I started out with the Real Techniques brushes, and I think the first brush I bought was the Expert Face Brush. If I remember correctly, at the time it retailed for something around the ten pound mark, and for little thirteen year old me, that was blooming expensive! In the grand scheme of things however, these brushes aren't that expensive on the make-up-brush-price-scale, with brands like Zoeva charging around £60 for eight brushes, crazy right?

BUYING BRUSHES:
I think almost every beauty addict has heard of Real Techniques. It's the most easily available brand of brush here in the UK and they are great quality. But, and here's the but, when you want a large number of brushes at once, the Real Techniques brushes can set you back a fair amount. Just by taking a look on websites like Amazon and Ebay, you can find some great brushes at much lower prices. Some suggestions are these, these, these, these and these.

LESS IS MORE:
I will hold my hands up here and admit that I have more brushes than I know what to do with. When it comes to it, as with many things, less is more! All you really need is a foundation brush, a powder brush, an angled brush, a couple of eye shadow brushes (blending brush, pencil brush, flat shader brush), a smaller face brush for contouring/highlighting and really, you're good to go. You don't need five different foundation brushes and an array of powder brushes- it just isn't necessary.

WASHING BRUSHES:
There are many products out on the market from brands like MAC which will rid your brushes of any bacteria and left over product. However, there is no need to spend twenty pounds on a bottle of brush cleanser when there are many much cheaper alternatives which do just as great a job. One method of cleaning your brushes is so simple and cheap and I've sworn by it since day one. I soak my brushes in some hot water for around twenty minutes so that the make-up and bacteria break away from the hairs of the brush. I then put a little bit of washing up liquid onto the end of the brush and swirl it about in the palm of my hand, rinsing everything out after. Within no time at all my brushes are clean again and I've saved myself money for something more important.

Just to point out, it's important to leave brushes to dry with the hairs pointing downwards so that the water drains out, as opposed to having the brush end pointing upwards and the water draining back towards the handle. By drying them correctly, you are prolonging the life of the brush because as I have discovered, if you don't do it right the brush falls apart and you have to invest in a new one.

Do you have any tips for saving money on beauty tools? What brands do you like to use? Leave a response in the comments and we can have a chat!

4 comments:

  1. You really don't need to get expensive brushes either. I found a great set of brushes on Amazon and clean them with good old soap and sometimes a bit of olive oil. Less is more :-)
    https://allaboutsabrina.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most used brushes are from Amazon, and they save me a small fortune every time!

      Delete
  2. I got a brush kit for christmas one year, I love them and reuse them often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear by using baby shampoo to clean my brushes they make them so clean and smell great too!

    Ronnie
    www.veronicabizzarri.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM