NIVEA MEN'S POST SHAVE BALM REVIEW

Image from prettyneutral.com
If you're in on your beauty talk then you'll have heard every man and his dog talking about this product at some point over the last few months. As per usual, I'm late on the bandwagon with yet another hype, but that's only because I was skeptical about whether this product would work for me, despite the numerous good reviews. At £5.35, if it didn't work, it wasn't going to break the bank, but I still wanted to wait and see what other people made of it. Succumbing to yet another YouTube trend, I went out to purchase this product which is considered to be a holy grail by many. I've been putting it through it's paces for the last week or so but the million dollar question is, how does it compete against my beloved Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser?

For anyone who doesn't know (and thinks that I'm crazy for using a mens product), the idea with this balm is that is supposed to work not only as an after-shave product, but also a makeup primer. It contains glycerin, an ingredient commonly used in some of our most loved makeup primers. Glycerin is the reason that your makeup actually lasts longer when applied on top of a primer.

A little bit of background on my skin before I tell you what I actually think of the product. I have mostly combination skin, but it can sometimes verge on becoming quite dry. I have fairly visible pores on my cheeks and quite an uneven skin texture, so I like to use primers which are going to glide over this and create a smooth base. For me, I found that it didn't smooth over my skin in the same way that some of my other primers do. It certainly made my skin feel softer and more hydrated but when I applied my foundation over the top, the natural texture of my skin still came through. I can imagine that if you already have a smooth skin texture with minimal pores/fine lines etc. then this would work far better for you. My foundation just seemed to sit on top of it, unable to sink in slightly like it usually would. 

As for increasing the longevity of my makeup, I found that on some days it worked and on some days it didn't. I don't know whether that was just because of the humidity we've had recently, or whether it's something I'm doing in my skincare routine. On days when it's been warm and humid, my makeup hasn't fared any better than it usually does without a primer. Having said this, on days when it hasn't been as humid, this primer appears to have worked quite well, keeping my makeup in place better than usual. It doesn't smooth out the texture of my skin like some of my other primers, but it has proven that it does work well in certain situations. 

Another way I have been using it is as a moisturiser in my evening skincare routine. I remove my makeup, do a wash and cleanse with two AEOS products, occasionally exfoliating with my Magnitone Barefaced before patting my face dry. I then use the serum from the same AEOS range, before applying the Post Shave Balm as a moisturiser. One thing to note is that the balm has quite a strong, masculine scent. Personally I don't mind it, but if you're not too keen on products with a strong scent then I would keep that in mind before purchasing. Using the Post Shave Balm the night before leaves my skin feeling really soft and supple the next morning. This is how I have been preferring to use the product recently, and will probably continue to use it this way as it gives me the best results.

I seem to be one of the only people who hasn't gotten on as well as they'd hoped with this product. I'm going to keep trying it out to see if I can get it to work any better as a primer, but at the moment I am quite enjoying just using it as a moisturiser. If you've tried it out and found a way which works for you, let me know so I can see if it works for me too! Have you managed to get on with it straight away, or has it not quite lived up to your expectations? I'd love to know your thoughts!

Follow

6 comments:

  1. I have heard of the Nivea Balm and didn't quite get why it was so popular but after reading your review I think it does sound like a miracular product. I am not sure about the strong scent though that's the only thing I am bit worried about, but other than that it seems like a fairly good primer. I might have to give it a go!

    I must say that I find your blog very nice looking and have followed you on Bloglovin.

    Wish you a lovely Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For anyone who doesn't know (and thinks that I'm crazy for using a mens product), the idea with this balm is that is supposed to work not only as an after-shave product, but also a makeup primer."

    That is exactly what I was wondering. :P Going to share this with my girlfriend who is a makeup artist. This is some lifepro tip here for her!
    I have been using this for a week now and I think I am going to use it for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and btw, I love the look of your site and your writing style. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seen that other use this, but not tried it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This could be a good gift for my boyfriend. But I don't think I'd ever use this as a makeup primer. I'll just by the regular ones in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Husband has this so maybe we need to share now?!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM