Are You Taking Care Of Your Skin?



It seems as if summer has finally decided to make an appearance, and temperatures over the last few weeks have been far too hot for many of us to cope with. Thirty degrees Celsius heat sent me out in the sun a few weeks back and sure enough, I was left with one of the largest, most inconveniently positioned burns. Having spent several days nursing this burn with Aloe Vera and moisturizer, I felt as if I should dedicate a post to caring for your skin. Obviously there is nothing wrong with being out in the sun during the summer months- infact, it's proven to boost your mood. With our skin being something that we have for our whole lives, it's important that we take care of it as best as we can, particularly during and after sun exposure.

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK     
It's the most obvious and well known fact about skincare, but drinking plenty of water is going to help your skin regardless of the season. Water is pretty much all I drink but if you find it a bit plain and boring, mix it up and add some fresh fruit for added flavour. Infused water can include whatever you like, but some of the most popular suggestions are limes, oranges strawberries. Water will not only hydrate your skin but also flush out any toxins that can make your complexion look slightly dull.

REMEMBER TO WEAR SPF
If you're going to be out in the sun then it's important to wear an SPF of some description. Regardless of whether it's a suncream or included in your foundation, even just a little bit will help. Obviously factor fifty is the best option, especially if you have pale or previously burnt skin. I like to wear factor fifty purely because I am so pale but even if I was more tanned, I would still wear it. It just gives you the peace of mind that your skin is going to be protected best. Some foundations have an SPF in them between the ranges of fifteen to twenty. Although this will help in keeping your skin protected, your face is going to be in the sun most out of your whole body. I wear sun cream beneath my foundation throughout the summer on days when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for long periods of time.

MOISTURISER IS YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
If you do manage to burn yourself in the sun, then don't be afraid to slap on the moisturiser. Aloe Vera is good for sunburn because it soothes the skin if you're someone who finds themselves in discomfort. Applying moisturiser to the skin after a burn can sometimes help the healing process. I often find that if I moisturise well in the days after getting he burn, then the skin will eventually become quite a nice tanned shade. (But I don't recommend burning and then moisturising to get a tan!)

FAKE IT TIL' YOU MAKE IT 
Struggle with getting the tan you want? If you still crave the tanned and glowy look that some people are blessed with during the summer months, then faking it is sometimes the best option. Recently I've been using the How Now Brown Cow gradual tanner from MooGoo*, and this is how I manage to get my tan without damaging my skin. I layered it up over three days and came out with a beautiful colour to my skin which I wouldn't be able to achieve in the sun. With some gradual tanners, you find that it takes a couple of layers until you begin to see results but with this product, one layer gives a lovely colour. One of the things I like most about this product is that I can use it on my face. Although it takes a few more layers, I can get my face my to match my neck well which is something I always struggle with. Some fake tanners and gradual tanners have that horrible scent which we all have nightmares about, but this somehow doesn't have that. During my time of using gradual tanners, I've had some absolute disasters, and some which just haven't worked at all. How Now Brown Cow has been the best one I have used by a mile! It's £15.50 for a 200ml, which works out at a similar price to many of the other brands which I have used before like St. Tropez. 

You can of course go all out and use a fake tan but for myself personally, I find that a gradual tanner looks far more natural.


EXAMINE YOUR SKIN REGULARLY
It's worth checking your skin every now and then to make sure that there are no abnormalities such as moles or melanomas. Regardless of whether your skin has been exposed to the sun or not, it is possible that moles could develop. Remember to check your back. It's one of those awkward places that you can't see properly, so ask a friend or family member to check thoroughly for you. If you want to find out how you can effectively check for moles, try reading this article here.

 Are there any tips you have for caring for your skin during the summer months? 

Products marked with a * have been sent to me for review. Thank you to MooGoo for sending the How Now Brown Cow Gradual Tanner to me.

2 comments:

  1. Haha "fake it til you make it" made me laugh! So true

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering to wear SPF is such a good tip! Best thing you can do for your skin imho.

    Sophie | MapleTreeBlog

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM