The Ten Piece Brush Set Every Beauty Obsessive Needs


If you've been stalking through beauty hashtags over the last couple of months, then you'll be sure to have seen the hype surrounding the brand, Spectrum. They've been popping up everywhere, from the pages of Cosmo to Lou Teasdale's Instagram page, as well as being used on the stars of The Only Way Is Essex and Made In Chelsea. I've been absolutely dying to get my hands on a brush set from Spectrum for the longest time, and now that I have, I too understand the hype that surrounds this brand and their brushes.

So what's so good about these brushes? For starters, they're a vegan and cruelty-free brand, only using synthetic hair in their brushes. This makes them super soft, (I'm not the only person to have commented on the softness of these brushes!), and also easier to clean. Another great thing about them is that you can either buy several brushes as part of a set, or you can buy each brush individually. The most expensive individual brush is only £8.99, so they're incredibly affordable, even for students. And on a slightly less practical note, they're totally Instagramable - I mean come on, look at them!

I've been loyal to my Real Techniques brushes for years now, but since these arrived in the mail last week, I can't help but feel unloyal in saying that the Spectrum brushes have possibly taken the top spot. There's something about them that feels so luxe. Whether it's the slightly weightier feel to them, or the softness of the brush hairs, something about them just works for me. In the 10 Piece Essential Set, there are three face brushes, six eye brushes and one lip brush. Basically, every brush you could ever need is included.



F A C E  B R U S H E S
A01 - Large Domed Powder Brush
Not much is needed to be said about this brush as it simply does what it says on the tin. It's great because it's so large, that powder can easily be applied in quite literally two or three strokes. It's also great for blending out bronzer and blush, despite the 'A' coding, suggesting that it is best used for application.

The coding of A, B and C is an indication of how the brushes are best used. They stand for 'A' for Application, 'B' for Blending & Buffing, and 'C' for Contouring.

A05 - Small Angled Blush
The Small Angled Brush, although designed for blush, has become a personal favourite of mine for contouring. It's angled brush shape allows you to get the product into the cheek bones, contouring beautifully once blended out with the A01 - Large Domed Powder Brush. These two brushes together are the dream team and probably my favourite two from the whole set. I've also enjoyed using this brush for highlighting along the tops of my cheekbones.

B01 - Flat Top Buffer
As the 'B' in the name suggests, this brush is part of the Blending and Buffing range. It's perfect for applying foundation, as well as for it's intended use of buffing out certain areas. I like to couple this brush with my Miracle Complexion Sponge from Real Techniques, and I find that I'm left with the most beautiful looking skin.


E Y E  B R U S H E S

A06 - Large Fluffy Shader
I've found this brush most effective when dusting one colour across the whole lid. It gives an even deposition of colour. and also blends slightly because of the fluffiness of the brush, making my life a lot easier in the mornings.

A09 - Angled Eyeliner
Eyeliner has never really been my game. I can't do it well, and I don't think I particularly suit it. So I haven't had the chance to use this brush yet. I think I might try it out as a lip brush in the future, but until I do, I can't give my opinion on it. Soz.

A17 - Angled Brow
This brush really speaks for itself, and I've been using it to apply powder eyeshadows to my brows once I've outlined the shape with my Soap and Glory pencil. I can imagine this brush also working well for pomades if that's what you prefer to use.

B03 - Buffing Concealer
The size of this brush makes it perfect for it's intended use. I've never had a brush specifically designed for concealer, but this one makes blending undereye concealer so much easier. It's very similar to some of my eyeshadow brushes, but the density of this one, in particular, makes it far better for buffing concealer than any of mine could. 

B04 - Small Angled Blender
Perfect for applying and blending product into the crease, the Small Angled Blender brush is just the right size to sit comfortably in the socket of the eye. It is similar to the Large Fluffy shader in the sense that it not only deposits the right amount of product but also blends it too. 

B06 - Tall Tapered Blender
The Tall Tapered Blender brush will be your best friend if you're impartial to a smokey eye every now and then. It is ideal for blending out shadows seamlessly, regardless of the eye look you're trying to achieve. 


                                                   L I P  B R U S H E S

A15 - Lip Liner

Similarly to the Angled Eyeliner brush, I haven't really had the chance to actually try this brush out yet. The only time I have used it is to apply inner corner highlight to my eyes, which it does a very good job at because of the size and shape of the brush. I have a similar brush to this, and I quite like using it to clean up around my brows once I have filled them in.

Have any of you tried the Spectrum Brushes? If so, what did you think of them? I have to admit that I have fallen head over heels for them. They're brilliant brushes, and have already worked their way into my daily routine. Let me know your thoughts.

19 comments:

  1. I love the ombre bristles! I've never seen such pretty combination shades before in a brush. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ARE so pretty! And I love the detailed description you gave of each one, you really took the time to do it well! Thabks for sharing, I'm going to take a look at these for myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of the brushes are beautiful and unique! Thank you for the tips on the types of brushes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen lots of hype surrounding these brushes too! They sound amazing, particularly like the look of the face brushes. I'm a zoeva brush fan, but might have to cheat on them with spectrum!!
    Lisa xx
    Beauxdiaries.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received one that is the perfect shape for highlighting and contouring in a Birchbox but I'm not quite sure what one it is! It's one of my favourites though and you're right, they are so much easier to clean than my real techniques brushes!

    http://victoriaspongepeasepudding.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty and sound amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pink brushes really caught my eye. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, The brushes are really astonishing and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for these suggestions. I always find brush selections to be a bit overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these brushes are pretty just by themselves! I love a good brush set, and I'm currently obsessed with It Cosmetics' glittery holiday brushes.

    Molly | Hey There Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  11. i nominated you for the Interview your best friend CHallenge!

    xx
    lau

    http://www.malibluemymind.com/2016/10/interview-your-best-friend-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no kind of brush set whatsoever but I realize that it's about time that I step it up. These look like they would be such a great choice and that the quality is insane! Lovely post as always =]

    Danielle |FollowMyGut.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! There are so many great products! I need a new brush set. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these brushes are so pretty, i love that they are pink!
    http://www.layersofchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need spectrum brushes in my life! The eye brushes look incredible.

    EmmysBeautyCave | Bloglovin | Blog Header Designs

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM