Media Kits: What Are They And How Can I Get One?


So you've got traffic to your website and want to start working in partnership with businesses, brands and other individuals, but the big question is, how do you go about getting work? It's a question every website owner has asked themselves at some point during their career, but there's one thing you're gonna want if you wish to secure work with brands, and that's a media kit.

So what is it? To put it simply, a media kit is a portfolio or profile for your website. Just like you have a personal CV containing work experience, personal qualities etc, a media kit is your website's very own version. A media kit can contain a range of things, but the main points to include are your website stats, services and rates, a little bit of background for your website, and obviously, contact details.

You can make your media kit as long or as short as you like; mine's currently three pages long, but generally, media kits range anywhere between one and four pages. I know plenty of people who manage to include everything onto one page, but for those of us who like to make sure the detail is there, it can be a little bit longer (just not like a six-page essay!). When businesses get in contact about possible collaborations, a media kit allows you to send across all the relevant information in one simple document, whilst also presenting a glimpse of your brand to them.

So now you know the basics of what a media kit is, how can you go about getting one?

Before you even begin to think about designing a media kit, you need to gather your statistics and any other relevant information. Take a look at your blog and social media. How are your stats looking? Note down your number of followers and have a look at your analytics. Where are your readers from? What's your demographic like? How many unique and monthly page views is your blog receiving? Google Analytics is a great place to start, or even just the Statistics tab in Blogger if Google Analytics goes over your head.

As for social media, if you're a business account on Instagram, you can view the number of impressions your posts are getting as well as your reach and engagement levels. It's all really useful information for a media kit. Twitter has a similar feature which as far as I'm aware, can be accessed and used by everyone. Just remember that it isn't all about the following. Sure, you can have a large following but what use is that if you're not getting engagement from them? Remember, brands won't want to work with you unless they can see that you have an engaged and active following, big or small!

Settle on a template design that you want to use

There are two options when it comes to designing and creating your media kit. You can either use a pre-made template or you can sit down and design one from scratch. There are plenty of pre-made templates out there if you search for them, and they allow you to just pop in your stats and photos and be done with it. The second way is a little more complicated and time-consuming, but if you want to you can design your own template with design software like Photoshop. To be honest, my first media kit was actually designed on a Microsoft Word document which I then converted into a PDF. It didn't look horrific; in fact, I stuck with it for several months until I needed to drastically update my stats. If you know your way around Photoshop then this is an opportunity to get creative and make something that is a true representative of your brand.

That's one of the most important things to stress with media kits. The document has to represent your brand and it's aesthetic. If your blog is fairly simplistic and minimal, then make sure to mimic that over in your media kit - hopefully, the overall theme of your blog is reflected across your social media platforms. If you're wanting to design your own but you're not sure where to start, then you can always look on Pinterest. There's so much out there, and I even created boards of some of my favourite graphics and media kits which I wanted to use as inspiration for my media kit.


Fill Out Your Media Kit: The Basics + Contact Details, Previous Work Credentials and Products/Services and Rates,

This is probably the simplest part of creating a media kit. All you have to do is decide what statistics to include and add them into the designated spot you've already made. Write a small section about yourself. Your blog's history, when you started, what you write about and a little bit about yourself are just a few of the things you can include in your opening paragraph. Remember, selling yourself here is key, as potential clients/customers will want to get the facts straight away- no waffle. As well as this, remember to include your contact details: eg. email address, phone number, blog URL, social media handles etc.

Something that I feel is beneficial to include is a list of some of the previous projects you've taken part in or brands you've worked with. It lets potential clients know that you have prior experience as well as assuring them that you know what you're doing. This brings me onto my final point and it's the whole reason as to why said client will be reading your media kit - What can you offer them that's so much better than the hundreds of thousands of other bloggers out there?

In my media kit, my final page is solely used to list and explain my services, what they include and how much each one costs. Clients are going to want to know the ins and outs of what they're paying for, so just writing something along the lines of 'one blog post for £30' isn't going to cut it. This is the main section of the document which can be more detailed than the others, so make sure that you've included all of the necessary information and laid it out clearly. If you are advertising a blog post for £30, is anything else included alongside the blog post? Does the £30 include social media shares? Is there a certain word limit on that post (eg. no more than 1000 words)? Will it include back links to another website? These are all things to include and consider on this page since it is probably the most important page of the whole document.

As I've mentioned, there are other guides, templates and resources to help you make a media kit if you want some more advice. If you have any other question, feel free to either tweet me or drop me a comment and I'll try my best to answer it.

Follow

17 comments:

  1. You're so right that the media kit should match your blog! Great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read this. I'm now at the point that I'm thinking about making a media kit. Loved to read your tips about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these tips and absolutely agree that the branding should be consistent across your blog, media kit and any other publications you put out there. I'm at the point where I need to start thinking about designing a media kit and am excited to refer back to this post to help me cover the basics! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, because though we all may want to get sponsorships we have to present ourselves well to potential partners...this demystifies the whole shebang!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very detailed. Thanks for this...been wondering about a few things and you just filled in the gaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous post, girl! As always, you know I love your work, but this guide comes in particularly handy for me at this point in my blogging journey :) I appreciate it!

    xo Kathryn
    www.fashionablyfrank.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you in my comments all the time, so thank you for your support over the year! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year x

      Delete
  7. This is a great guide to the basics for someone just starting out and a good refresher for experienced entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tips! I should have designed a media kit long ago, and it's posts like this that really encourage me to get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips! I'm a new blogger and thinking about creating a media kit myself. this helps, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post! I've always wanted more info on media kits! Thanks

    xoxo
    BefittingStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope to begin working on a media kit soon. This is helpful info. I would love to hear ideas about how to engage businesses, etc. when you are fairly new and don't have previous projects/brands you have worked with to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining various websites that connect bloggers with brands is a good way to start. Some of my favourites include etailPR and The Blogger Programme :)x

      Delete
  12. I haven't made a media kit. I'm thinking to work on Pinterest in 2017 and an email list and get my traffic up before I'm ready to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! This was very helpful. I've been meaning to put a media kit together. I'll be bookmarking your post so I can read through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips, thank you for sharing. I just did my first media kit attempt, wish I'd have seen this before. Pinned for future reference!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM